Kashi Vishwanath Temple
Kashi Vishwanath Temple
Kashi Vishwanath Temple is quite possibly the most renowned Hindu sanctuaries committed to Lord Shiva. It is situated in Vishwanath Gali of Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India. The Temple remains on the western bank of the sacred waterway Ganga and is one of the twelve Jyotirlingas, or Jyotirlingams, the holiest of Shiva Temples. The primary god is known by the names Shri Vishwanath and Vishweshwara (IAST: Vishveshvara) in a real sense importance Lord of the Universe. Varanasi city was called Kushi on old occasions, and henceforth the sanctuary is famously called Kashi Vishwanath Temple. The historical underpinnings of the name Vishveshvara are Vishva: Universe, Ishvara: master, one who has territory.
The Temple has been alluded to in Hindu sacred writings for quite a while as a focal piece of love in the Shaiva Philosophy. It has been devastated and re-developed on various occasions ever. The last structure was wrecked by Aurangzeb, the 6th Mughal sovereign who developed the Gyanvapi Mosque on its site. The current structure was based on a nearby site by the Maratha ruler, Ahilya Bai Holkar of Indore in 1780.
Since 1983, the sanctuary has been overseen by the public authority of Uttar Pradesh. During the strict event of Shivratri, Kashi Naresh (King of Kashi) is the head directing minister.
The sanctuary is referenced in the Puranas including the Kashi Khanda (part) of Skanda Purana. The first Vishwanath sanctuary was wrecked by the multitude of Aibak in 1194 CE when he vanquished the Raja of Kannauj as a leader of Mohammad Ghori. The sanctuary was remade by a Gujarati shipper during the rule of Delhi’s Sultan Iltutmish (1211–1266 CE). It was crushed again during the standard of either Hussain Shah Sharqi (1447–1458) or Sikandar Lodhi (1489–1517). Raja Man Singh constructed the sanctuary during Mughal head Akbar’s standard, yet a few Hindus boycotted it as he had allowed the Mughals to Mughals inside his family. Raja Todar Mal further re-assembled the sanctuary with Akbar’s subsidizing at its unique site in 1585.
In 1669 CE, Emperor Aurangzeb annihilated the sanctuary and fabricated the Gyanvapi Mosque in its place. The remaining parts of the recent sanctuary can be found in the establishment, the segments, and at the back piece of the mosque.